Friday, May 22, 2009

Eat me! / Menu review: The Clubhouse Restaurant



Before heading to bed to rest up for EAT! Vancouver tomorrow,I feel compelled to stay up and let you in on an old "secret spot" of mine I'd forgotten about until today, when D. stopped there to grab some dinner and I came along for the ride (literally, since she was driving me home from hot yoga).

I first discovered The Clubhouse Restaurant (255 West 2nd Avenue; see dinehere.ca for reviews) back while I was interning for WHERE Vancouver Magazine -- a shopping, dining, and entertainment magazine housed on Spruce St., just a few blocks away. It was one of my coworker's favourite dining spots. So I gave it a try.

It was so good, I created a new listing for it under the magazine's Japanese restaurant category.

I still remember exactly what I had. My friend, J., and I ordered and shared the beef okonomoyaki (one of the specials that day, on for only $6.95), the oh! avocado (baked avocado with seafood & cheese -- kind of like oyster motoyaki, only with avocado; $5.95), the "rockin' ross" cream cheese sushi roll (prawn tempura, sweet potato, BBQ salmon skin, cream cheese & asparagus; $5.75), and the azuki red beans with ice cream dessert ($3.00 or $3.50 -- I can't remember).

All of the dishes were delicious.

Nowadays, you can find okonomiyaki (Japanese-style pizza) at numerous places. The selection at the Clubhouse, however, is particularly huge -- there are 17 different kinds (including natto {fermented soybean}, mochi, pork gyoza, scallop, and mixed meat), with the option of paying extra to add kimchi, mochi, cheese, or yakisoba. The beef version we had was our favourite dish of the evening. Please note that the image featured below wasn't taken at The Clubhouse (I didn't dine there today, but it looks very similar to what we were served).

In terms of the cream cheese roll, I must say that adding that tiny dollop of cheese to sushi makes all the difference. I definitely recommend trying it at least once -- if not here, at least at another sushi restaurant.

But the real point of this post was to talk about the dessert item that is, sadly, no longer on The Clubhouse menu: sweet azuki red beans atop a huge dollap of vanilla ice cream.

I must admit, when the dessert first arrived at our table, I was a bit disappointed by the simplicity of its appearance -- $3.50 for just a scoop of ice cream and some beans?

Those red beans ended up being some of the best I've ever tasted. Larger, sweeter, and far tastier than any of the kind I've had served on the numerous ice desserts I've consumed (and I've eaten a lot!) or I've seen sold ready-made in plastic sachets or glass bottles at the grocery store, they were perfectly complemented by the mildly sweet and refreshing vanilla ice cream.

Noticing its absence from the dessert menu while waiting for D's order of sushi to arrive, I learned from the owner, Karen, that it had been taken off the menu because too many of the restaurant's customers don't like red bean and kept asking for vanilla ice cream alone, and because the dish is so labour-intensive.

It takes four to five hours to make!

Apparently, making those beans involves a long, complex process that begins with buying the right beans. They buy special dried dessert red beans and take care to choose only those of the right size (not too small or too big). They then have to take those beans and soak them for around four to five days, changing the water twice a day. When they're finally ready to cook, they need to be boiled for upwards of five hours, and then mixed with three types of sugar (white, brown, and "Chinese" sugar). After that, the cook has to determine how sweet the beans should be, bearing in mind that their level of sweetness will fade after being stored in the cooler.

While Karen was kind enough to share this recipe with me, she emphasized that I'd probably have to make the dish many times before hitting upon just the right proportion of sugar, water, and beans.

So, it's safe to say that I probably won't ever attempt it. ;)

All that work for something that sells for only $3.50!

I'm glad I got to try it before it was pulled. I turned down Karen's generous offer to make some for me for a future visit -- if it's really that hard to make, I'd rather have her make it for a much larger group to make it worth her while.

So, if you like red beans, are planning a large gathering, and have The Clubhouse on your list of places to try, consider calling ahead for the red bean and ice cream dessert.

Sometimes those items that look sweet and simple are some of the most complex and satisfying dishes you can try, and I'd definitely say that this dessert fits the bill.

Before dessert, go for the tuna steak ponzu and agedashi tofu. Karen says she can eat them every day, and that some people come just for the tofu.

The Clubhouse has whole menus of daily specials every day -- be warned though: my quick comparison of Friday's daily specials and the regular menu revealed that some of their "specials" are the same price as what they go for regularly. The restaurant used to post its daily special menus on its website, but seems to have taken down almost all the information it used to have. Guess you'll just have to come down and see the specials for yourself!

If you've tried The Clubhouse or know of another place that offers great red bean desserts, fill us in!

11 comments:

  1. Ooh I've came across this restaurant many times while searching for a good place to eat. Unfortunately I've never actually dined there. Good to know that it's one of the hidden gems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I was just there last night, and we always get the pancake, though we get it as an appetizer and share it, it is a bit much for one person!

    Nice review, we should go with a larger group where they can make the red bean dessert, that would be fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Btw, how do I submit a food request? Not sure where to ask!

    Thanks C :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey you're a foodie so maybe you can help me out. My maid of honour is really into food (more specifically, taking photos of) so what do you think it's a good present for someone like her? She lives in Dallas so I haven't give her any gift cards for here. Also it can't be something that's bulky since she has limited luggage space, most likely. I'm thinking around $20-25, plus or minus $10 (it's flexible though).

    ReplyDelete
  5. J - I'm up for Clubhouse outing. How's your schedule looking? I'm super-busy this week -- how's next week for you? We still need to go to the Dutch Wooden Shoe!

    I haven't quite figured out how to handle the food requesting. I might change it to email requests or make a specific area for posting responses in the future. For now, I think commenting on the most recent post should be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tiff, how about a book about food art, that's heavy on the photos? I mean the kind where you ooh and ahh over the coolness and creativity of it all.

    What you can do is order it online and have it delivered to her address, so that she doesn't even need to lug in home with her. When I have time, I can make a post about it -- if you're not in a hurry. If you are, just type in food art or edible art on amazon, and you should find a bunch of neat options.

    Sorry, I'll try and think of more ideas, but I don't have much time to work on the blog this week. Hope this suggestion helps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Find me a good paella place, preferably in the cheap-moderate price range, good value, family atmosphere, etc :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm still up for bringing you guys for dim sum then trying that durian flakey pastry. let me know when please!

    I would like to find a place for Haggis. muahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haggis and paella have been placed on my to-find list (along with Latvian food)... but probably won't be talked about until sometime next next week, when I'm done with my EAT! Vancouver coverage.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool blog!
    I've been wondering about the Club House for a while. Have you checked out the Sin Bin next door. It used to be the Cameo Cafe. But they've changed it now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't been to Sin Bin yet, but I will add it to my list of places to check out if you think it's worth trying. Have you been?

    I checked out some of your reviews, and I must say, I wish I'd gotten a chance to check out Hats Off Day last weekend. I didn't know food was involved! Be sure to let us know if anything similar comes up!

    Also, I saw that your "most recent discovery" was maple butter. Any place you know that sells it that I should be checking out? Have you tried the Maple Twist cones in New West?

    If you like maple lattes, Canadian Maple Delights in Gastown has maple steamed milk you might want to check out. I didn't really like it (I found it too sweet, and I have a HUGE sweet tooth), but you might.

    ReplyDelete