Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Who knew?: Bugs for breakfast!

I'm starting my FOODSAFE training in just five minutes, so I anticipate being able to share some interesting facts about food safety - most likely a couple of gross food handling stories, etc.

The worst personal story I can recall at the moment was one time when I was eating a rice and bean dish in a restaurant in the Philippines and saw something that looked like neither a bug nor bean. Turns out, the "bean" was really a small beetle. It was really tiny, so if I hadn't been looking closely, I would have probably just eaten it.

Eating a bug in a meal really shouldn't bother us, since there's bug bits in practically everything we eat. Back when I used to have a membership at Science World, they had a special members-only night in conjunction with the opening of the OMNIMAX film Backyard Bugs, where they had all kinds of foods that contain pieces of bugs for attendees to eat. Up for grabs were bags of chips, peanut butter, bread, popcorn, etc. The take-message was that every time we eat a chip, there are probably crushed bits of ant or grasshopper in them.

And we apparently end up eating an average of eight spiders in a lifetime -- they crawl into our mouths while we're sleeping. Don't quote me on that though -- I quickly googled it to make sure the statistic is out there, but some sources say we eat 10, and I also don't know how on earth they measure that!

There are also all the bugs that eat by choice. My dad used to eat honeybee larvae and said they taste like candy. During the Science World night, they fried up mealworms (the larva form of the mealworm beetle) and I think also served honeybee larvae, but I wasn't brave enough to try either at the time (I was only in elementary school).

Then there are the novelty insects you can buy at candy stores. One day I will try some. They're really expensive though, for less than a handful of bugs!

If you know anywhere in the Lower Mainland that sells insects/bugs (e.g. termites, chocolate covered ants, etc.), or if you'd tried any cool insects during your worldly travels, please enlighten us with your insights!

3 comments:

  1. Hmm, bugs. I think the only time I've eaten insects was in Dr. Gabbott's class, when he offered us some chocolate-covered ants. For better or for worse, I don't recall really feeling the ant, though.

    I've never tried them myself, but Koreans eat silkworm pupae! Check out this volume of Steve, Don't Eat It:

    http://www.thesneeze.com/mt-archives/000398.php

    Quote:
    (Regarding the can label)
    "Any words in an oval demand attention. The yellow oval on this can says 'High Protein - Great side dish when drinking alcohol.; I imagine this came from the silkworm marketing team when faced with the nagging question 'Who the fuck's gonna eat this?!' The answer: DRUNKS!"

    Tee hee. BTW, if you're not familiar with Steve Don't Eat It, I highly recommend that you check out the archives.

    http://www.thesneeze.com/mt-archives/cat_steve_dont_eat_it.php

    In fact, the Sneeze is a good blog in general. It's amazingly funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should check out the TV show Bizarre Foods too. There are quite a few episodes on YouTube. The host Andrew has tried lots of bugs, including juicy grubs (eesh!)

    MJ, I checked out Steve Don't Eat It. It's funny :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome blog, MJ. I'm sure I'll spend tons of time perusing it more closely when I get the chance. Thanks for the suggestion.

    Good for you for being brave enough to eat a chocolate-covered ant! I'd do it, but I would prefer to get it from somewhere other than a novelty shop -- perhaps a foreign country (I WILL travel the world one day!). Do they sell silkworm pupae here?

    I haven't got a chance to see the YouTube links yet, Tiff, but will try to squeeze some in this weekend. You're an adventurous eater. Have you tried any bugs?

    ReplyDelete